Whenever I ask someone to recommend a drama, the usual response is Aangan Terha and Tanhaian. If I ask for recommendations from the recent ones, the response is usually just Humsafar and Pyare Afzal. Fortunately Pakistani drama industry has a lot to offer other than these extremely popular serials. Here is my list of must watch dramas of recent times (in no particular order):
- Kankar: domestic abuse is shown quite a lot on Pakistani TV but this one also talks about dealing with it. Loved Fahad mustafa in a negative role.
- Qaid e tanhai: I’m a huge Faisal qureshi fan. He is simply the best when it comes to facial expressions. Give him a story penned by umera Ahmed and a Co star like sawera nadeem and the result has got to be better than awesome.
- Daam: what’s not to love about Daam. Story by umera Ahmed of two best friends from different social classes, Sanam Baloch and Amina shaikh have given one of the best performances of their lives. Sanam Saeed was a new Comer back then but her performance was better than any seasoned actor.
- Doraha: love, love, love it. Story about love, jealousy and family politics narrated in a way like never before. And then of course, there was humayon Saeed too in it 😉
- Vasl: ayesha khan’s best performance in my opinion. She played the role of a much older woman and did it with aplomb.
- Diyar e dil: I started watching Diyar e dil because of the beautiful locations but soon fell in love with the story and it’s characters like most other people. This is also one of the few plays which forced me to read the novel too.
- Dil lagi: undoubtedly love story of 2016. Story of a strong woman who stayed with her husband because she fell in love and he gave her respect, not because that was something she was expected to do.
- Mera Naam Yusuf hai: directed by mehreen jabbar, I had huge expectations from this one and it didn’t disappoint. One of the best performances by Maya Ali and Hina bayat. This one too has a lot of strong women and lots of life lessons to learn from.
- Jackson Heights: story of a lot of people going to USA to fulfill their American dream told beautifully by mehreen jabbar. Nauman ijaz has outdone himself.
- Malal: I myself know a lot of cowards who might like someone but will get married to the girl of their mom’s choice. Beautifully portrayed by mehreen jabbar. Written by umera Ahmed and studded with awesome performances by deepti Gupta, Faisal Rehman and sarwat geelani.
- Rehai: Kashf foundation is an NGO that believes in women empowerment and they also like to raise awareness about social issues through television. Rehai talks about a young 10-12 year old girl getting married to a 40 year old man. Packed with powerful performances by actors like Nauman ijaz and samina peerzada, it’s definitely a must watch.
- Besharam: This serial is still on air and it’s like breath of fresh air. Although I didn’t like the first 2-3 episodes much, I have now fallen in love with all the characters. Of course the usp of the serial is the chemistry between Zahid Ahmed and saba qamar.
- Udaari: one more serial by Kashf foundation and it talks about child abuse. Written by Farhat ishtiaq and actors like bushra Ansari, samiya mumtaz, Ahsan khan and urwa hocaine have made it an unbelievably amazing serial. Must watch!
- Main sitara: a completely different story of a girl from a humble background wanting to become a successful movie actress. Written by Farhat ishtiaq and with not a single dull moment through out, it is an absolute must watch.
- Mata e Jaan hai tu: I have watched it twice and have read the novel too. It’s a romantic story but it’s not just about a boy falling in love with a girl but about importance of every relationship in life.
How many of these have you watched?