It wasnt the man himself, it was his team that made him do a lot by making him believe in things which were just not true. Habib Jalib captured this so well long ago!
Finally, the President resigned yesterday. Am I happy about it? Frankly speaking, I dont know! I have never exactly hated him. After all, he was the one who gave us an economy which we were all proud of. No doubt he made some huge mistakes in his era but I believe he was sincere. He just didnt have the right people around him..his advisors were just not good enough. But does this mean it is time to be distributing sweets? He’s gone but his advisors are still there with their positions further enforced in the establishment. Even if they had been gone, who is this country dependent on now? The great Sharifs and Zardaris!! With Musharraf resigning, I hope these ‘democratically elected leaders’ would deliver what they promised for.
Perhaps, we deserve to be ruled by people like Sharifs and Zardaris who are the biggest thugs Pakistan has ever seen. Just as I read somewhere yesterday…”Welcome to Demon-cracy!”
With the whole country talking about impeachment of the President, I thought of doing some research to find out what it actually means. I found some very interesting things about this whole process which I would like to share with everyone:
According to wikipedia, “Impeachment is the first of two stages in a specific process for a legislative body to forcibly remove a government official. The second stage is conviction.” (In law, a conviction is the verdict that results when a court of law finds a defendant guilty of a crime.) Now, impeachment is a new concept in Pakistan, so we basically have to rely on the western sources to understand more about it. According to the US constituition, “the President, Vice President, and all civil officers of the United States shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.”
What we know already from all the daily talk shows is that a charge sheet, or a motion to impeach as it is more formally called, is to be developed and requires a majority vote from the parliament but a two-thirds majority is required for the actual conviction. Now, ofcourse, in Pakistan, its not the crimes that matter for impeachment (we all know that the people advocating the establishment of the ‘rule of law’ in the Land of Pure have a corrupt past and can be impeached themselves). Here, the only thing that matters is numbers and the ruling coalition has that. (Cowasjee has captured this so well here).
Obviously the movers of the impeachment are looking for President Pervez Musharraf to emulate Richard Nixon who had thought it wise to quit before he had the ignominy of being grilled by the Senate (SOURCE). But, President Musharaf so far resisted calls to step down and insisted he will serve out his current five-year term. I think he really needs to check out the history of impeachment (amongst the three US presidents: Andrew Johson, Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton, only Bill Clinton has been able to be acquitted of the obstruction charge by a 50 to 50 vote in the Senate. ) I hope President Musharaf makes a wise decision.
A very happy Jashn-e-Azadi…but wat are we actually celebrating this year?
As for me, I am celebrating hope.
Enjoy watching the video, and please ask the same for this country in your prayers as is being asked from Allah (SWT) in this song.
Do I need to say more? 😛
A very interesting post that shows “as soon as you update the master, the other places automatically get the update.” Facebook Status was used to apply this concept. A must read!
Got this in email today from a friend at work…had to share this!
1. The Female always makes THE RULES.
2. THE RULES are subject to change without notice.
3. No Male can possibly know all THE RULES.
4. If the Female suspects the Male knows all THE RULES, she must immediately change some or all of THE RULES.
5. The Female is never wrong.
6. If it appears the Female is wrong, it is because of a flagrant misunderstanding caused by something the Male did or said wrong.
7. If Rule #6 applies, the Male must apologize immediately for causing the misunderstanding.
8. The Female can change her mind at any given time.
9. The Male must never change his mind without the express, written consent of The Female.
10. The Female has every right to be angry or upset at any time.
11. The Male must remain calm at all times, unless the Female wants him to be angry or upset.
12. The Female must, under no circumstances, let the Male know whether she wants him to be angry or upset.
13. The Male is expected to read the mind of the Female at all times.
14. At all times, what is important is what the Female meant, not what she said.
15. If the Male doesn’t abide by THE RULES, it is because he can’t take the heat, lacks ackbone, and is a wimp.
16. If the Female has PMS, all THE RULES are null and void and the Male must cater to her every whim.
17. Any attempt to document THE RULES could result in bodily harm.
18. If the Male, at any time, believes he is right, he must refer to Rule #5