So yea, I am new to baking…and cake decoration. Till now I.hav only depended on Boxed cake mixes but I feel I need to learn to make some cakes from scratch before moving on to decoration.
I opted to try our family favourite, vanilla cake, first. I tried a few different recipes of vanilla cake over the last 10 days and the following recipe turned put to be the best.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk at room temperature
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Simple Buttercream icing
- Pre heat oven at 180 C and prepare the baking pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk and keep asida.
- In another bowl, beat butter till fluffy. Add sugar and mix until combined.
- Add eggs one by one and mix well.
- Add flour mixture and eggs into the butter mixture, alternatively. Combine them all properly.
- Add vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into pan and bake for 30-35 minutes (when toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the cake.
- Let it cool for 10-15 min before covering it with simple buttercream icing.
- Enjoy with tea or coffee.
The recipe is easy and fool proof. The cake came out soft and absolutely delicious. Highly recommended!
And that too delivered right at your doorstep!
We are very excited to announce our first competition 🎉🎉 that will let you win a box of 6 chocolate cupcakes!!
So here’s your chance to win a box of 6 chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting from a home based bakery, Mummy’s Delight, owned by the very talented Lubna Imran.
Lubna has a diploma in Food and Beverage Management and has worked at the very prestigious Marriot. She has been running her business since 2014.
To enter, you must
1. Be a resident of Karachi
2. Like and share Mummy’s Delight
3. Share this post with your friends
4. Comment ‘done’ on this post
Terms and conditions
1. Competition closes on January 6th, 2018
2. The winner will be chosen randomly and will be announced on January 8th, 2018
3. The winner’s cupcake box will be delivered on January 13th, 2018
4. The winner will need to pay for delivery charges
5. The prize is non transferable and has no cash alternative
6. Only one entry is permitted per person
Please note this is NOT a paid/sponsored post.
So what do you do when you have two young kids, no culinary skills, no helper, laundry still screaming for attention and your little one has her birthday coming up! You start panicking?
Well, especially yes if you are living in singapore and are on a budget.
This year I decided to celebrate Duaa’s birthday on a budget beside the pool with a few friends of both kids and perhaps 2-3 of my close friends. I wanted something very casual but the cake has to be the most important thing in a birthday party no matter how extravagant or casual the party is. The lady who I have been turning to for the past two years for all our ‘cake’ needs was travelling and that’s when I found out that a friend, Ruqaiya has recently launched her business too. The best thing about her is that she can do all sorts of desserts and you are not limited to cakes only. The next problem was I had only seen pics of her cakes, who did look pretty but I had no idea how they tasted. So, I just trusted her blindly. Or let’s say not exactly blindly because I had already tasted some stuff she had made and it was absolutely amazing to say the least.
Finally I ordered cake pops, cake and cookies from her on snow white theme.
I gave her a few pictures and a few instructions so that she would be free to use her own creativity too. The cake, cake pops and cookies all looked better than the pictures I had given her and the taste was absolutely mouth watering. To top it off her rates are just as good. She didn’t over charge and packed everything with finesse.
It’s hard to believe that she has recently started her business and is just so exceptionally talented . She has been doing various baking and decorating courses to enhance her skills.
This is what she has to say herself, “I am a mother of two daughters (4 and 2) who are crazy about sweets. I am from Pakistan and moved to Singapore couple of years back. I loved baking since I was a student. I actually made my first cake in a pressure cooker:p Looking the shine in my daughters eye as they see the cake gives me push to be more creative and try something different! Over the period, I have experimented with variety of different cakes. I love making decorating cakes with gumpaste, fondant and buttercream. I like the freedom to play with my innovative skills to put the customer’s idea into reality. I am happy to have received very encouraging feedback from my clients so far! My favourite cake so far is the Frozen Castle, which I made for my daughter’s birthday.”
Please visit her Facebook page for more pictures and support her little business to help her nurture her talent.
Sweet indulgence https://www.facebook.com/groups/1692313401087469/